Tue - Sat, 12 - 6PM / 212.937.6580 / 540 W 21st St. New York, NY 10011
As part of X-Lab, Eyebeam Resident Tahir Hemphill has organized a Rap Research Group. The group - made up of enthusiasts, historians, creative technologists, cultural critics, linguists, teachers, MC's and academics - will meet to discuss various topics: quantifying art & metaphor, data visualization, internal / external cultural analysis, gaming, curriculum design and more.
The Research Group will meet on Wednesdays at 7PM beginning December 1.
- December 1: Masculinity w/ Sam Han - On the Looming Crisis of Masculinity in Hip Hop…and why it’s a good thing [http://is.gd/h5u8V]
- December 15: Religion w/ Reverend Sekou - Is Hip-Hop Just a Euphemism for a New Religion?
- January 5: Migratory Aesthetics w/ Zuhirah Khaldun - The Blueprint: A Working Model for International Hip-Hop
- January 19: Cultural Analysis w/ Tahir Hemphill - The (Im)possibility of Quantifying Art & Metaphor in Rap
- January 26: Feminism. TBD
Want to get in on this conversation? RSVP here
Or join the discussion online: Rap Research Group blog.