Playable Fashion Weekend Workshop (for ages 14-18)January 5, 2013-January 6, 2013 At Eyebeam
Are you a teen that loves video games, technology, and fashion design? What about wearable electronics and clothes that act as real game controllers?!
Join us for a radical new fashion workshop at Eyebeam Art & Technology Center over the weekend of January 5th and 6th and you can learn to combine the latest in technology and fashion with your love of digital games.
Aspiring high school designers like you will have the chance to work alongside fashion designer turned game designer Kaho Abe who has worked with global labels like Tommy Hilfiger and Gymboree, and games artist Sarah Schoemann to create their own wearable game controller in just two days!
First, You’ll get a crash course in building and soldering the simple but powerful electronic devices used to play your favorite games. Next, you’ll learn to create your own “soft” electronics (buttons and sensors made from wearable materials like conductive thread and fabrics) to merge your devices with your fashion taste. Finally you’ll embed your hand-made parts into a clothing of your own design and use them to play a real video game!
- Bring a piece of clothing that you want to turn into a game controller!
- The class takes place from 10am – 5pm January 5th and 6th at:
540 West 21st Street
New York, NY 10011
- Spots are limited so register as soon as possible to claim a spot! REGISTER FOR THE WEEKEND WORKSHOP HERE.
- The class is free with a registration and materials fee of $10. (*income sensitive scholarships available — contact us with inquiries)
- Free lunch will be provided to all participants.
- High school students age 14-18 are invited to join us but must be able to attend both all-day sessions.
- We cannot accommodate friends, parents or siblings during the workshops, but everyone is invited to join us at 5pm on Sunday January 6th for our closing reception, where our participants will debut their designs.
- Got questions? Email us both at email@example.com and Sarah.Schoemann@gmail.com.
Participants will be considered high priority candidates for the Playable Fashion Afterschool Program which runs from February – May 2013 at Eyebeam.