Tue - Sat, 12 - 6PM / 212.937.6580 / 540 W 21st St. New York, NY 10011
Visit Eyebeam for the biannual Open Studios, showcasing ongoing projects by current fellows, residents, and student residents.
Get a behind-the-scenes peek at Eyebeam's state-of-the-art labs, and talk with artists and technologists about their current work.
The June 21 Open Studios will feature work by fellows, student residents, and outgoing Winter 2008 residents, including:
- Floating Furniture: Conceptual prototype for levitating furniture, by Jessica Banks (R&D OpenLab fellow).
- Ice Creams and Heat: A short video seen through the eyes of Tahj Banks and Glen Moore (student residents).
- Teta Haniya’s Secrets: Kinky Syrian-inspired lingerie embedded with kitschy technology, by Ayah Bdeir (R&D OpenLab fellow).
- James Chimpton: A robotic chimp who hosts his own talk show, Inside the Artist’s Studio, powered by a text generation engine called ABSML, by Steve Lambert and Jeff Crouse (senior fellows).
- Party Tech: Documentation of a series of installations and performances designed specifically for parties, by David Jimison (Production Lab fellow) and Jeff Crouse (senior fellow).
- Lightcoder: Tools for the end of the world by Geraldine Juárez (senior fellow).
- Moviesandbox 2: Create and control cameras, characters and sets using a plethora of fun input devices, by Friedrich Kirschner (Production Lab fellow).
- Add-Art: A free Firefox plug-in that replaces advertising on websites with curated art images, by Steve Lambert (senior fellow).
- Magic Cards: High tech card tricks by Zach Lieberman (R&D OpenLab fellow).
- Bright Idea Shade: A DIY cover for energy-efficient CFL bulbs, by Michael Mandiberg (R&D OpenLab fellow).
- Project Walkway: High tech high heels and other wearable technologies developed during the recent Girl’s Eye View program, by Wandy Marcano (student resident).
- Fold Loud: An origami interface for musical play by JooYoun Paek (Winter 2008 resident).
- The Bowery Birds: Three Lisp-powered blocks of the City’s recent past, by Dan Torop (Winter 2008 resident).
- Shadow Project: An interactive kinetic wall by Addie Wagenknecht (Production Lab fellow).
- Xerox Astronomy and the Nebulous Object-Image Archive: An office photocopier placed at the center of a mechanical model of the universe, by Joe Winter (Winter 2008 resident).
Following Open Studios, join us from 6-8PM for the opening of Eyebeam’s latest exhibition, Tourists and Travelers, featuring the work of 2008 Commissioned Artists Taeyoon Choi and Joseph DeLappe.
People: Addie Wagenknecht, Ayah Bdeir, Dan Torop, David Jimison, Friedrich Kirschner, Geraldine Juarez, Glen Moore, Jeff Crouse, Jessica Banks, Joe Winter, JooYoun Paek, Michael Mandiberg, Steve Lambert, Tahj Banks, Wandy Marcano, Zachary Lieberman
Research: Education Lab, Open Lab, Production Lab